Sector: Home security
Media: Linear TV
Time period: February – April 2022 (3 x segments in Saturday Night Takeaway)
Since launching in 2016, Ring had become one of the leading smart security brands in the market, with 1 in 14 households installing a Ring video doorbell at home. With UK media budget being drastically cut, agency MGOMD needed a cost-effective content idea that would bring to life the personality of the product in an engaging and exciting way, whilst also delivering a disproportionate amount of buzz and attention.
ITV worked closely with producers of Saturday Night Takeaway to devise a gameplay format that involved presenters Ant & Dec taking over live Ring video doorbell feeds from unsuspecting members of the studio audience.
If the audience member recognised the doorbell as their own, they stood up to shout “Ding Dong! That’s my Doorbell!” Harnessing Saturday Night Takeaway’s reach, this prompted neighbours watching the programme to sprint to the audience member’s house for the chance to speak to Ant & Dec through the Ring doorbell camera to win a cash prize.
This was a real team effort with collaboration between Production, Partnerships, and Commercial teams. The campaign was created by ITV Commercial, ITV Studios, agency MGOMD, and Ring.
The campaign was recently awarded the prestigious Gold Grand Prix at the Media Week Awards.
In-programme content segment “Ring My Bell” was an instant audience hit, sparking living room chaos amongst pets and families alike. #RingMyBell was soon trending on Twitter and being talked about in the national press.
Having initially planned for it to be a one-off, due to the popular demand and impact, ITV managed to persuade the client to find enough budget to bring the format back twice more – including a feature in ‘the epic final’.
• With combined impacts reaching over 17m, Ring My Bell delivered a huge amount of bang for its buck and placed Ring’s brand at the heart of the entertainment in one of Britain’s biggest TV shows.
• Ring’s video doorbell interface had over 7.5 mins of editorial presence in SNT, delivering an equivalent media value of nearly x10 the initial investment.
• #RingMyBell was massive on social, delivering a combined audience reach of 23m and 78% positive sentiment.
• Ring saw an immediate spike in interest, with a 30% uplift in branded search queries over the weekend of the first episode.
• Both attention and buzz peaked during the first transmission, with Attention +50% vs. start of February and Buzz +150% to Ring's target audience (Source: YouGov, ABC1 35+).